- This is a local festival: Playwrights must currently reside or work in Maryland or the District of Columbia or have previously maintained their primary domicile, or place of employment, within Maryland or the District of Columbia.
- This is a new play festival: Plays cannot have had a staged production at the time of submission to the festival. Readings and workshops are not considered productions. If the play does receive a production after submission and before BPF production, the playwright must inform the BPF.
- Please limit submissions to one per playwright per year.
There is a ten dollar ($10.00) submission fee. Checks must be made out to the Baltimore Playwrights Festival and should be attached to the submission material.
The fee is used to help covering the cost of returning reader feedback to the playwright, awards to the playwrights of the top three productions, refreshments at the public readings, the kick off and awards ceremonies, and other BPF operating costs.
The BPF submission period is April 1 - July 31st. All scripts must be submitted in Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx), PDF, or RTF format, emailed to the BPF Librarian at [email protected]. The playwright must also send the BPF Librarian a submission packet with a check or money order attached for the submission fee.
The submission packet identifies the play and playwright, contact information, and optional supplemental information.
- Submission Form: Please open one of the forms, download, fill out and print:
- Submission Fee: A check or money order for $10.00 made out the Baltimore Playwrights Festival.
- CD If your play is a musical or requires music, the music must be sent in on a CD.
- Residency Document: If the playwright is not a Maryland or DC resident, a document must be submitted explaining when or how the playwright meets the BPF residency requirement. This can be as simple as a statement (in your own words) citing the dates of your residency in MD or DC.
- Resubmission Document: If the playwright resubmits a play previously submitted to the BPF, a resubmission document must be included in the packet (see below for criteria).
Submission Packets should be sent to:Baltimore Playwrights Festival
PO Box 38122
Baltimore, MD. 21231
Questions? Ready to submit? Please email the librarian at [email protected].
Each script must be anonymous. Please remove any identidying information from title pages, headers, footers and elsewhere. Please include your name and the play title in the body of the email and attach the script. The script should include:
- Title page
- Synopsis (no more than one-half page in length)
- Character listing (including gender, age range, and any features such as skin or hair color necessary to the script)
- Setting (place and time)
- Script (with page numbers)
Standard play script format should be used, as it is designed to indicate the approximate reading time of the play. General rules are below, there are variations, but please be close to these guidelines:
- margins: 1.5" left, 1" right, top and bottom
- page numbers in upper right corner
- 12 point font, either Courier New or Times New Roman
- character name 2.5" from left margin
- dialogue running from left to right margin
- stage directions 2.5" from left margin (italics OK)
Submission Period: Scripts are accepted from April 1 through July 31, with the date of submission determined by the postmark on the submission packet. Submission packets postmarked from October through March will not be accepted. (Sorry, but we can only handle one season at a time.)
Any play resubmitted after previous Festival consideration must meet the following criteria:
- Resubmissions must include with the submission packet a list of script revisions and rewrites undertaken by the playwright
- Resubmissions must reflect a major rewrite: characters or scenes added or dropped, a new spine for the play chosen, a different theme focused on, etc.
One acts should not exceed one hour (50-60 pages) and full-length plays generally should not exceed two and one-half hours (150 pages).